Choosing The Right Paint For Your Home
Choosing the Right Types of Paint for Your Brisbane Home
As a painter or a homeowner embarking on a DIY project, choosing the right paint types and finishes can impact the overall look and longevity of your painting endeavour. Here, Brush Masters Brisbane explores the differences between oil-based and water-based paint. Read on as we delve into the various types of paint finishes, including matte, eggshell, satin and semi-gloss, and how to choose the right interior and exterior paint for homes.
Oil-based paint contains pigments and resins dissolved in organic solvents such as mineral spirits. It has been a popular choice of paint types for years due to its durability, glossy finish and resistance to moisture and stains.
- Excellent durability, making it ideal for high-traffic areas and exterior surfaces.
- Provides a glossy and smooth finish.
- Resistant to moisture and stains making it suitable for kitchens and bathrooms.
- Longer drying time, which can extend the overall project duration.
- May emit strong fumes during application, requiring good ventilation.
- Clean-up requires paint thinner or mineral spirits, potentially leading to more effort and time.
Water-based paint, also known as latex or acrylic paint, contains pigments and acrylic resins dispersed in water. It has gained popularity due to its low VOC (volatile organic compounds) content, quick drying time and ease of clean-up.
- Quick drying time will allow for faster completion of painting projects.
- Low VOC content, making it environmentally friendly and safe to use.
- Easy clean-up with just soap and water.
- May not be as durable as oil-based paint, especially in high-traffic areas.
- May require more coats to achieve the desired opacity.
- Limited glossy finish options compared to oil-based paint.
Understanding Different Paint Finishes
Matte finish is known for its non-reflective and velvety appearance, making it an excellent choice for hiding surface imperfections. It creates a subtle, soft and sophisticated look on walls.
Eggshell finish offers a slight sheen, striking a balance between matte and satin finishes. It is ideal for residential painting in areas with moderate traffic, such as living rooms and bedrooms, as it can withstand light cleaning.
Satin finish provides a soft glow and is more durable than matte or eggshell finishes. It is easy to clean and works well in areas prone to splatters and spills, such as kitchens, bathrooms and hallways.
Semi-gloss finish offers a noticeable shine and is highly durable, making it ideal for high-traffic areas and trim work. It is easy to clean and maintain, often used for doors, baseboards and cabinets.
Choosing the Right Paint for Specific Areas
Consider using a satin or eggshell finish for durability and easy cleaning in this high-traffic area.
Opt for a matte or eggshell finish for a calming and soft look that hides minor imperfections.
Use a satin or semi-gloss finish for easy cleaning and moisture resistance on walls and cabinets.
Choose a satin or semi-gloss finish to resist moisture and enhance durability in this humid environment.
For exterior paint for homes, consider durable and weather-resistant paint with a satin or semi-gloss finish. This is particularly important to get right when painting a roof.
Whether you’re looking for the best paint for interior walls or you’re painting a living room, trust Brush Masters Brisbane. Get your home a fresh new look today! Contact us online or call 07 3171 8762 for quotes and queries.